Friday, September 16, 2011

Bridge to 10k Program - Week 1 Day 1



courtesy of appfinder.com

The bridge to 10k program is designed for C25k graduates (ME!) and gently adds more running to the intervals.

Week 1 
5 min warm-up
10 min run
1 min walk
Repeat run/walk 4 times
5 min cool-down




courtesy of appfinder.com


When I saw this I thought, 10 minutes isn't too bad BUT 4 intervals with only 1 minute walking in between....YIKES

I fully intended to get up and meet my friend at the trail around the corner. I couldn't sleep thinking about my run. Worrying. Scared. Nervous. Anxious.

I was up at 4 am and we weren't suppose to meet until 7am.  So I tossed and turned and dozed off until 8am! UGH.  I  began  talking myself out of starting today and thinking I'll just start tomorrow. It's a kind of cold outside, a little rainy, I'm sleepy. Yeah. Excuses.

But I knew I had to face my fear of getting out there and just go. Since I'm working from home today I decided I will go over lunch.

In order to get my butt moving I got up and put my workout clothes on and shoes. I think this helped me get my mind in the game.  So there. When I start feeling whishy-washy about going out, I'll just put my clothes on anyway.

I couldn't find my headphones, but I kind of sort of think I run better without music. During all of my 5k's I've never had music and it wasn't bad at all. It allowed me to think and meditate. 

Finally about 11:30ish I set out for my first run.  I skipped the warm-up.  The first 10 min run wasn't bad at all.  My pace was a little under a 12 minute mile.  Then the walk. 

Wow. 1 minute walk isn't a lot at all.  Just enough to catch your breathe and relax some.  Second run was just ok.  I think I was able to do about 8 minutes before I started walking again.  So that gave me a 3 minute walking interval.

The third run started off really great. I guess that's when I hit my second wind or maybe it was mentally knowing I was halfway there and only had one run left.  My pace slowed down a lot at this point. Maybe 12 and a half minute mile.  I was able to run about 9 minutes of this run.  Then I took another 3 minute walk interval.

I started off running the last 10mins, but I mentally checked out. I was tired.  I know it was mental because I don't think I was tired physically, just mentally.  I ran for about 2 minutes and decided I would walk the rest of the way back home.

During the run I felt my stomach cramp up. This happened to me right after my 5k last Sunday too. I wonder if it has to do with being hydrated. Today I ate breakfast before the run, but last Sunday I ran on an empty stomach and had a banana right after. WAIT. I had a banana this morning too. Hmmm. Wonder if they are causing my stomach issues. *shrugs* Not a good feeling though.

I am not disappointed in myself that I couldn't run all the intervals today.  I am accepting where I am and praying that I progress. The only way to get better is to keep going and if that means giving myself longer walking breaks, so be it! I don't want to burn out. I didn't want to force it and have a bad run. When I do that, I'm slow to get back out there dreading another bad run.  I am PROUD of myself for starting!

Even though you are suppose to do this 3x's a week (non-consecutively) I am going to do it again in the morning. I decided I will do  W1D1 (week one day one) as long as it takes me to get comfortable with it. I am in no rush. 
I really need to figure out a schedule to work this program. It's hard for me to give up Title since I love going so much. 

I'll figure it out.  So there it is, day #1. COMPLETE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers